Something Old, Something New: A Vintage Touch From RH Homes
Spring is just around the corner, and it is the perfect time to start working on home decorating projects. Whether you prefer to browse through consignment shops and thrift stores on the weekends with a few friends or have boxes and old furniture in the attic, you’ll love incorporating your unique personality into your home’s design.
Here are some of the most popular ideas for upcycling, using antiques, and adding old stuff to take your home decorating to the next level:
- Create some origami. Old books and newspapers sitting around in boxes may not hold any lasting value. Before throwing them out, consider an upcycling project. Make statement pieces by folding newspapers or creating origami stars to hang from the ceiling. Seal your project with spray on sealant and add a touch of glitter or paint for effect. The result is an eye-catching decoration that costs little to make.
- Use antique containers. It seems like old baskets, crates, and other containers are in high demand. If you come across one in your explorations, their uses in home décor are virtually endless. Secure a clean and open container to the wall for use as a picture frame or to hold towels and knickknacks. You can also add several together to make a bookshelf or wine rack with just the right vintage flare.
- Keep those old bottles. Vintage soda bottles and mason jars are another versatile decorating staple. You can repaint the containers and use them as flower vases or candle holders. Find a tutorial for cutting glass, and you can turn your favorite specimens into one-of-a-kind drinking glasses.
- Think before you throw out old furniture. Unless the piece has to be reupholstered or it’s not made out of solid wood, you have the perfect opportunity to add value to the piece. Refinish, paint, or distress wooden furniture for a brand new look at a fraction of the cost for the same item new. Consider the other furniture in your home so it can complement your current décor. Involve your family or friends in the process, and step back to admire your work when it’s done.
- Paint ugly upholstery. Maybe there is a chair that is in good condition but features an outdated pattern. Give the furniture new life with spray paint that is designed specifically for fabric. Reupholstering a piece can be time consuming and expensive to achieve the right result. Try fabric spray to save time and money.
If you find an item for the right price or with the right style, don’t give up on it because it’s the wrong color or needs a little love! Make old and out-of-date décor work for you by giving it a makeover and displaying the project proudly in your home.